[Felting] Tutorial #1 - How to handle wool
Portioning the Wool
Before you start, carefully plan the amount of wool that will be used.
Method 1: Vertical
1. Spread out the entire piece of wool. The textures should be vertical.
2. If separating the wool into 2 equal pieces, place your hands on the left and right sides of the wool and pull gently to split it.
3. Repeat this process to create as many strips of wool as required.
Method 2: Horizontal
Use this method when splitting thinner wool strips.
1. Spread out the entire piece of wool horizontally. Place your hands on opposite sides of the wool, more than 5cm apart, and pull gently to split it.
2. This makes long strips of wool shorter.
How to Use Felting Needles
Holding the needle with one hand and fixing the wool onto the foam pad with your other hand, poke up and down to shape the wool. The needle must go up and down in the same direction, otherwise the needle is very likely to bend and break.
Note: It is recommended for beginners to have an extra pack of needles.